I set out to find and record, in five minutes, a half dozen verses that epitomize the victorious life we are commanded to live in Jesus Christ. I gave myself only five minutes because I knew the New Testament was filled with victory for those who truly give everything to Jesus Christ. We are not to be bewitched into believing anything less. Here are the six best verses I found in five minutes:
1. Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.” ) No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. (Romans 8:35-37 NLT)
2. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14 KJV)
3. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. (I John 5:4 NKJV)
4. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. (I Corinthians 15:57, 58 NKJV)
5. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. (Galatians 6:7-9 NKJV)
6. I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16 NKJV)
After carefully going over these verses, I was plagued by questions I could not shake: “Why are so many so called ‘Christians’ not living the victorious life? Why are they so unhappy? Why are they so depressed? Why are so many into pornography and illicit sex? Why are so many hooked on drugs and alcohol? Why are so many angry and abusive? Why do so many let their fears and failures drag them thru the mud? Why do they drag others thru the mud with them?”
I will now tell you about myself. I became a Born Again Christian back in January of 1977 while in the Marine Corps. It was hard trying to live holy as a Christian and be a Marine at the same time. I knew there had to be something more that God offered so I could have power to be a victorious Christian and a dynamic witness for Him, regardless of the circumstances.
I was befriended by a group of Christians who I saw living the victorious life. I wanted what they had. They shared with me how they received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit the same way the early Christians did as recorded in the Book of Acts. They opened up the Scriptures to me and this began a yearning in my spirit to have everything God had to offer me. As I prayed and sought a deeper and deeper walk with the Lord, the Lord honored my requests. As I was alone in my prayer closet on Easter morning 1981, I received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit as recorded in the Book of Acts. The Greek word for this power is dunamis. My life has truly never been the same since that day. It is not a one time experience. It is a daily re-filling of Holy Spirit power as described in Acts 4:31.
If you are a Christian and you are not living a victorious life, I pray you will seek for this same power the Holy Spirit offers.
I will leave you with this quote from Tozer: “Every man is as full of the Holy Spirit as he wants to be. He may not be as full as he wishes he were, but he is most certainly as full as he wants to be.”